12 Mar 5 Proven Ways to Promote Yourself as a Graphic Designer
Even with the growing need for graphic designers for business and corporate design work, it has become increasingly impossible to stand out from the crowd and promote yourself. Graphic design especially is an incredibly personal practice, as it is artwork derived from your creativity and imagination. Every graphic designer has a different aesthetic, and your creative outlet may not work for everyone. So how do you promote yourself and bring in business as a graphic designer?
- Consider your target market. Because of your specific aesthetic and brand, you will likely have a specific target. Is it hospitals? Is it creative industries? Think about who you not only want business from, but also who will appreciate your specific design aesthetic.
- Develop and follow a specific marketing plan. Your marketing plan should include a timeline, budget and outreach initiatives. Whether it’s cold calling, postcard mailers, or social media marketing, you want to make sure that you are following and implementing a targeted marketing strategy.
- Create a digital portfolio. Marketing is online these days, and while a website is a good idea for any freelancer or entrepreneur, a digital portfolio will really help your work shine. There are several platforms in which you can develop a website within a template and include some of your work within a portfolio plugin or capability.
- Be client focused while you are interviewing. The key to a successful interview is being well-prepared and client-focused, which can translate to being professional and relevant to your target business. Tailor your portfolio, show up on time (or even a little earlier), and practice your responses beforehand.
- Be persistent. Follow up with a thank you note to the interviewer and contact them on a weekly basis to check the status of the position. Maintain contact with everyone you meet if you’re looking for multiple clients.
With the above 5 proven tips to promoting yourself as a graphic designer, you will be well on your way to generating business.